Happiness is a Choice
This morning I wake up, do my everyday workout, and enjoy a nutritious breakfast and go out to seize my day. It is a fantastic day; the shining sun offers every opportunity for me to create the best day of my life. A good friend of mine always says: Today is the only day that we can actually act and do something to either change our lives completely or in case we already have our dream life then to simply embrace and enjoy it to the most.
So I jump onto my bicycle, letting the warm breeze caress my unruly hair. As I bike along with a song on my lips, I suddenly hear a friend holler while waving at me. We hadn't seen each other for a long time, so I stop immediately and we start sharing our life stories.
My friend is a handsome man; tall, blond, with a pair of mesmerizing blue eyes and he runs a successful company of his own. He is married to a gorgeous woman and they have two wonderful babies. I presume most people out there would indeed feel blessed to be in his shoes.
As we chat along I start feeling weird; hearing him moaning about his life, our Greek crises, about the bills and his over charged credit cards and of his lack of free time. Then he starts moaning even about the weather that it’s too hot; what else do you expect during June in Greece! He keeps talking while sweating (only after a while do I realize that I am wearing one of my hot short pants; perhaps the heat is induced).
I feel really sad about him, because even though he has everything he probably seeks in life, he focuses on what he doesn’t have and in all the negativity that exists anyway. Ok, we all know Greece is in crises; financial and cultural too. But should we stop dreaming and do nothing either to reverse or to improve the whole situation? Should we stay blindfolded within our self-created so called paradise (which isn’t making us happy either) watching our life pass by as a meaningless sham full of pretence?
No; certainly not!
We must stop moaning and start doing. Dreams are good. But without action, without hard work, persistence and insistence we will never achieve our dreams. Even if you don't feel ready yet for the change or even better be the change, at least stop moaning and complaining. See the positive side of life. The glass of life is always half full. Because even if indeed it is half empty your negative perspective and views won’t fill up the other half. Instead a more optimistic attitude would help in adopting a happier life and achieving your everyday goals, no matter how big or small they are, will become easier. A positive view of life will surely lead you to a happier life. I know it works. I have applied it personally and realize the results.
Here I will give you some tips with examples of how positivity can lead to a happier and more fulfilling life, no matter what the issues are:
- Embrace life for what it gives you. We live in a wonderful world. Nature supplies us free the most vital things that we need to live like the air we breathe, water we drink and the sun and so many nutritious food found in the wild free. Spend time outdoors and you will soon realize that all the stress you may feel will disappear immediately. While being in nature words like stress, worries and problems sound smoother and lighter and mostly they even don't exist.
- Embrace God (whatever that means for each one of us, for me nature is god) for what you have: Instead of doing what my blond friend did with his life, feel grateful for what you have. If you have a woman or a man who loves you and takes care of you, don't focus on his/her negative side of character, but encourage him/her get the best out of him/ her. Be thankful for what he/she has and does for you. If you have a job but still not your dream job, either be thankful for having a job (unemployed people would die for being in your shoes) or start working in creating the appropriate conditions or procure the skills needed for starting your dream job.
- Start smiling. It is contagious. The power of a smile is so powerful that it can solve and even take you out of sticky situations.
- Start socializing with positive and optimistic people. Friends are good. But if they give you stress, why should you put up with them and their misery? Your time is limited and priceless. Spend it only with those who make you feel happy, who are creative and get the best out of you. For sure we must stand by our friends when they are down and stressed but not with those who choose continuously to remain gloating in their misery and refuse to emerge out of their sorry shells.
- Seek for alternative ways to get informed about worldwide news. The majority of TV Channels mainly focus in disasters, poverty, wars and negative news. They try to scare people. Control them. Stop torturing yourself. There are many e- radio stations and e-magazines which focus in the positive news. So many praiseworthiness things are happening worldwide but no one speak or write about them in the main TV and radio channels. Here are some web sites I dig out after a research and I propose to all of you. www.upworthy.com www.buzzfeed.com www.positivenews.org.uk www.dailygood.org
- Discover happiness in small and simple things. How often big and extraordinary things happen in your life that gives you the ‘big’ happiness? Rarely; this is why we should start finding happiness and beauty in small things which occur every day. In that way there will always be a reason for which we will celebrate and embrace life. Small things happen every day. They may be small and ordinary but if viewed as a gift they offer great pleasure and happiness.
Being the master of our own lives it is up to us to make it what we want and mostly it is about making the right choices. I have already made my choice. I have chosen Happiness.
I am happy because I choose to be. It needs no other reason to substantiate or authenticate.